Having your own home comes with its fair share of responsibilities and of course worries, for most of us buying a house will be the most expensive purchase we make in our lifetime. Home ownership is a long-term investment and protecting your investment will be important to you. As a homeowner, you feel it your duty to take every precaution in order to protect your home, its contents and those who reside on the premises with various security measures.
Taking precautionary measures are important and can save you grief and money in the future but it doesn’t mean these measures are full proof and it is always wise to safeguard your home with the help of an insurance provider. Household and contents insurance will give you peace of mind not only in the case of a burglary but also damages that may occur in an attempted break-in or completely unforeseen circumstances.
Taking our insurance on your rental home
When renting your home out to a tenant it is important to have household insurance since you won’t physically be on the premises all the time. Tenants also do not always have the sense of responsibility for the home similar to that of the owner and through misuse and negligence damages can run into thousands of Rands. Having insurance can safeguard you against many of these damages.
South African household insurance providers
Whether you’re getting household insurance for the first time or think its time to reevaluate what you’re currently paying It is important to shop around. Getting a range of comparative quotes will ensure you’re getting the best coverage for the ideal price. If you’re looking for comparative quotes for household insurance these providers below are a few that you should be contacting for a price estimate.
Household insurance providers in South Africa
Outsurance allows you to build your own home insurance package, deciding the type of cover you want, through building insurance, contents insurance and OUT-and-ABOUT insurance. Their home insurance gives you
- 10%cash OUTbonus for 3 claim-free years.
- Premiums guaranteed for 12 months
- Quick claims turnaround
- Low flat excess
- Free emergency home assistance
- Hand-picked service providers
First for Women Insurance
This insurance provider caters to South African women only. Due to statistics revealing men are more irresponsible and reckless when it comes to driving and self-care. Women now have been granted the opportunity to pay lower rates for insurance due to this underlying fact.
Their home contents insurance policy covers a wide variety of incidents that could occur in your household. From fire, lighting, explosion or earthquake, burst water pipes, or any damage done to you home-intentional or unintentional, including handbag cover and medical expenses should you be injured by your pet or building.
Miway offers a home to cover for lightning strikes, fires starting; geysers bursting unexpectedly, those things that get stolen and t broken. Their aim is to make sure you’re covered for both the natural disasters – and the not so natural ones too.
They range from Buildings (Homeowner’s) Insurance to Contents Cover (for tenants and homeowners) to All Risk Insurance,
- Affordable premiums, low flat excess.
- Earn rewards and save on joining fees by buying their home insurance online.
- Managing you claim process online.
- Household Emergency Assistance.
Hollard offers home contents Insurance, which covers:
- Cover for loss or damage to your home contents caused by theft, fire, lightning, storms, earthquakes and other insured events
- Damage caused by power surges
- Cost of a security guard to protect your home after an insured event
- Cover for loss or damage of personal items belonging to guests or full-time employees
- Cover for your belongings while they’re in transit to or from your home.
- The cost of professional counselling to cope with trauma after an insured event
- Paying for food that has gone off in your fridge or freezer because of a mechanical or electrical failure in your home
This insurance provider is all about decreasing the inconvenience that comes with theft and accidents.
Budget insurance has been around for over a decade and they have insured thousands of South African homes during that time. Budget offers a range of packages suited to different client needs.
- loss or damage to household goods and personal possessions
- loss or damage caused by fire, lightning, power surge, explosion, malicious damage, storms, bursting or over-flowing of geysers, equipment or pipes, break-in and theft
- food that deteriorates because of a power failure or if your freezer breaks down
- stolen washing and/or garden furniture
- the event of you and/or your spouses’ death if caused by fire or break-in at your home
- your domestic employees’ or guests’ belongings (only if there is proof of damage caused by a break-in)
With all of these options at your fingertips, your household is begging for you to cover and protect it, the way it does for you.
When should you shop around for home insurance?
- When buying a home
- When the value of your property changes
- After making renovations to your home
- After buying expensive household items
- When your home insurance rate increased for no apparent reason
- When you switch car insurance companies
- When you’re unhappy with their service
Make sure your prized asset is covered
Shopping for home insurance should not be left to the last minute and give yourself some time to research and review your options. We suggest you contact the larger insurance companies to establish a baseline of what the market is offering before you approach smaller firms.
We encourage you not to simply purchase insurance from the cheapest provider make sure you have adequate cover in case of a range of possible scenarios and that you’re getting a fair price for those services.
Take the legal route
If you’re looking to evict a tenant from your property and want to avoid a long drawn out case or want to limit your risk then present your case to an eviction lawyer. As a specialist in the field of evictions, our team of lawyers will evaluate your case and give you solid advice if you have a case that will hold up in a court of law.
If you need advice on your eviction case or would like us to represent your case, get in touch with Le Roux Attorneys